Fact: Top Israeli and U.S. officials agree Iran is a rational actor.
- General Martin Dempsey, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff: “We are of the opinion that the Iranian regime is a rational actor.” (Global Public Square, Martin Dempsey on Syria, Iran and China; February 17, 2012)
- President Barack Obama: “I do think…that as we look at how they operate and the decisions they’ve made over the past three decades, that they care about the regime’s survival…They are able to make decisions based on trying to avoid bad outcomes from their perspective.” (The Atlantic, Obama to Iran and Israel: ‘As President of the United States, I don’t bluff’; March 2, 2012)
- Israel Defense Forces Chief of General Staff, Maj. Gen. Benny Gantz: “I think the Iranian leadership is composed of very rational people.” (CS Monitor, Israeli Army Chief says he doubts Iran will build a nuclear weapon; April 25, 2012)
- Meir Dagan, former Mossad chief: “The regime in Iran is a very rational regime.” (CBS News, The Spymaster: Meir Dagan on Iran’s Threat; March 11, 2012)
- Former IDF Chief of Staff Gen. Gabi Ashkenazi made a similar case to an Israeli parliamentary panel in 2009: “The Iranian regime is radical, but it’s not irrational.” (Haaretz, Ashekenazi: Iran is radical, but not irrational – it may still curb nukes; November 10, 2012)